Rising from failure




God help you if you are a phoenix
And you dare to rise up from the ash
A thousand eyes will smolder with jealousy
While you are just flying past - Ani DiFranco


Today we are talking about failure and rising up after failure.

I am a nurse who has experienced a lot of failure and I know I am not alone.

At one point in our careers, most of us have been experienced failure, it is something we hold back with shame and hope that no one ever learns about it.

Failure is a topic that we do not discuss enough in nursing.

So today I am breaking the stigma of failure in nursing and giving you permission to as well.

When I was a new nurse, I struggled A LOT

I was orienting at my first hospital for a night shift med/surg position. About five weeks in, I was called into the office with the manager and educator who said it wasn't working out and I wasn't getting things fast enough. They suggested I consider going to work at a SNF for a few years then come back and try again.

I was devastated. 

I was embarrassed. 

I felt like a huge and complete failure at nursing.

My confidence was completely shook and all I could take this as is a sign that maybe I wasn't meant to be a nurse.

I spent the next two months applying for jobs, worried I wouldn't be able to afford rent and working in group homes when I found a day shift Oncology position at a local hospital.

At that job, I found my first boss who supported me, an amazing preceptor and a work family who I am still connected with on Facebook to this day. 

I found an area of nursing that I not only excelled at, but have built a fifteen year career around.

All because of failing in my first hospital position.

To this day, I am so so grateful for failing at my first hospital position. I am grateful that I didn't give up nursing. I am grateful for all my failures along the way.

Are you in the middle of a failure in your nursing career or life?

Maybe you have sent out over 50 job applications and been told no.

Or maybe you lost your cool at work and got a verbal reprimand.

Or maybe you thought a job was in the bag and then didn't get it. 

These moments can be hard.

Failing can be hard.

But nothing feels better than rising from the ashes.

If you are struggling to get past your failure and doubting if it's possible, I got you. I invite you to join the Unbreakable Nurse Society where nurses overcome all the failures listed above and create the jobs/careers of their dreams. It's not too late in 2021 to turn things around, sign up for a consult with me.

I believe in you and your possibilities,

Mary B.





Comments