Questions to Fight Burnout & Transform Your Life



"Asking questions is the first way to begin change" -Kubra Sait

One of the common traits of my clients in burnout is that they feel they cannot make the right decision. They almost live in this decision paralysis, where they are afraid to move forward but know they are unhappy where they are. During our sessions, one of the tools I use to help them to start moving is asking questions.

Questions make us think. They are the gateway to the parts of our brains where we have answers but have not tapped into. They lead us to make decisions that are in alignment with what we want. Here are stories and examples of how powerful questions to ask yourself to overcome burnout and build your resiliency.

"What would if you decided that no matter what you were making the right decision, what would you choose?

I had a client who recently is torn about going back to school for her nurse practitioner or leaving nursing to pursue another healing modality. During our session, she kept going back and forth, worrying about making the perfect decision. Finally, I asked her, "What would if you decided that no matter what you were making the right decision, what would you choose? This question changed her thinking of her choice been good versus bad one, to the right decision that was for her which was the decision to go become a health coach.

"What would you do if you did know?"

Saying "I don't know" is a crutch which I have been guilty of using in many parts of my life. It allowed me to avoid really thinking or diving into my anxiety around my relationships and my job.

I remember during a coaching session, where I was spiralling about a decision to take time off school to focus on my business. I felt anxious and all I could say is "I don't know what to do." My coach paused me and said, "What would you do if you did know?" It stopped me right in my tracks and instead of my mind spinning in indecision, I started thinking about what I really wanted to do, which was take time off for the summer and focus on building my business. I now use this question frequently whenever I feel the "I don't know" popping up.

"How can I use this to make me stronger?"

This has been one of my go to questions for 2019. This year has been a year of stepping out of comfort zones and taking risks as I have built a coaching business. There are so many days that I feel uncertain, I have setbacks, or question why I am doing this. When I face a setback, instead of giving up, I ask myself "How can I use this to make me stronger?" When I say it to myself, it almost gives me a sense of peace and the focus I need to take a deep breath and continue moving forward.

"What would five years from now want me to do?"

My mentor Brooke Castillo used this a few months ago and it has stuck to me ever since. In five years, I will be 40 years old. I want to do everything I can do today to be alignment with the person I want to be when I hit 40.

-40 year old me wants to be able to run a half marathon.
-40 year old me wants to have a successful coaching business that is helping thousands of nurses take control of their career and life.
-40 year old me wants to have a life where I am traveling twice a year and living debt-free.
-40 year old me doesn't want to be disappointed in herself for being too afraid to fail, that she doesn't even try.

I believe the first step to overcoming burnout and creating resiliency is reconnecting to your personal power. These are four questions that I have used to with my clients and myself to empower and transform our life experiences

Do you have a powerful question you ask yourself? Share it below.

We have three more months until 2020. Are you burnout and trying to figure out what's next? Do not waste another year spinning your wheels. Let's get you the life and career you have been dreaming of. Sign up for a Free Coaching Session




Comments