Lessons from an amazing year.



On May 12th the Burnout Ward will be celebrating it's first birthday! Pop the champagne!

Owning a business had been a huge dream of mine and this year has definitely pushed me to a place of personal growth I never imagined.

This week in honor of the Burnout Ward's birthday, I want to share with you some of the biggest lessons I have learned from one year in business. These can be applied whether you are burnout at your job, looking for what's next or ready to make the leap of faith.

Lesson 1: Stop waiting for other people to pick you.

As a kid, I didn't really have an altitude for sports. I was a nerd and usually picked last in gym class. I think I kind of held onto this as an adult in my career. I was literally waiting for someone to pick me and say "Hey you are good enough to go after that huge dream you have."

Life is not a high school gym class, my friends. 

Stop sitting on the sidelines waiting to get picked or to be given permission to do the thing you want to do.You are responsible for making your own opportunities and dreams happen.  If there is a dream you have or something you want, you are the only person that can stop you from having it. Stop waiting for permission, get up and go do it.

Lesson 2: Discomfort is the currency of your dreams.

This quote is from my first coaches and a mantra I live by. When I launched in May 2019, I had to learn to be okay being really uncomfortable and bad at doing all the business stuff like creating a budget, going to networking events where I didn't know anyone, pitching myself, and lots of facebook lives on my page. 

Whether you study the law of attraction, intention mindset, etc. anytime you are going for your personal growth, there will be discomfort. But when you start embracing discomfort, the easier it gets.

Lesson 3: Comparison is the thief of joy and purpose.

It is so easy to compare yourself to other people and make it mean things about you. As a coach and business owner, I have definitely seen other people that I think are farther along then me. I compare myself and think things like maybe I picked the wrong niche, I am not good enough, or I am behind. 

Comparison stops so many people from doing amazing things or leaning into their purpose because they see someone else doing the same thing. Instead of viewing them as competition, think of them as people with shared interest. There is room in this world for more than one expert and we need different teaching styles for different folks.

Lesson 4: Find your tribe of mentors and friends.

The first three years after burnout, I was angry, bitter, and trying to push through on my own.   it wasn't until 2017 when I hired my first life coach that I realized how much harder I was making my life. Since 2017 I have paid for coaching from people who were where I wanted to be. 

When you are doing something new like starting a business or getting a new job, finding your tribe of mentors and similar people who support you and are cheering you on make the journey so much easier. I have a community of coaches I connect with regularly and entrepreneurs I network with regularly. 

Lesson 5: Your success is up to you. 

Success is not some magical linear path or something that you get blessed with. Success requires work and showing up even on days where you just want to sit on the couch and watch Netflix. It is a series of mistakes, failures, and backslides. However, nothing feels better than that moment will you finally achieve that goal after all the sweat and tears. 


Thank you for being a part of this journey with me and a beautiful year of lessons. Here is to many more.


I believe in you and all of your possibilities,

Mary B.

We are almost 6 months into 2020. What do you want to be celebrating in a year from now? A new job? Launching your nurse business? Becoming a nurse coach? Having more time with your family? Finally getting off working night shift? Whatever your goal is, I am here to help. I have decided to open two more coaching spots. Once they are full, there will not be any more open spots until September. Stop putting yourself on the back burner, sign-up for a free consult today. 

Comments