People Pleasing



Today we are talking about a common trait that I see and hear frequently in the nursing profession. 

People pleasing. 

If you don't know if you are a people pleaser, it is saying and doing things to make other people happy. Here are some of the thoughts and beliefs of people pleasing:

"I am better at taking care of others instead of me."

"I just want to make everyone around me happy."

"If I say no, I will let viewed as a bad team player."

"I just want them to like me."

While those thoughts seem so sweet and nice, they are pure poison.

Instead of making someone feel better, usually what happens to people pleasers are:
  • They stop taking care of themselves.
  • They will take responsibility for other people's work.
  • They don't work on their goals and dreams.
  • They struggle when someone doesn't react the way they want.
  • They make themselves small, contorted versions of themselves and hide parts of their personality.
If you identify as a people pleaser, I want you to listen up. 

I want you to stop thinking people pleasing is a good trait because, it is not kindness.

Because people pleasing is manipulating other people to like you at the expense of liking yourself. 

But the good news is people pleasing is a learned habit which means you can also unlearn it. 

Because the world needs you to take up your space in your full technicolor way, not the watered down pastel version. 

It may be hard in the beginning, and people may be confused about the changes that are happening to you.

But you will find yourself being more kind, more compassionate, and more loving not only to yourself, but to others.

I believe in you and your possibilities,

Mary B.

P.S. - Working through people pleasing is one of the many ways I support nurses as a burnout coach. I will help you learn how to find your confidence a nurse and believe in your self-worth. Take the first step on that journey today by clicking here and signing up for a free consult.










Comments