How to get along better with doctors.



Getting along better with doctors.

The physician and nurse relationship can be a complicated one. We work together in high stress environments with a goal to take care of our patients as best as we can. And at times it can be really hard.

I get it and I have been there.

BUT something fifteen years of nursing has taught me is that it doesn't have to be this way.

Today I am going to share some of my biggest lessons about working with physicians that have been learned the hard way. 

Lesson #1: Physicians are humans.

One of my favorite books is Dare to Lead by Brene Brown. In one section  she shares an experience speaking to C-level people (who she didn't realize meant executive folks). Before she was going on stage, she started freaking out because she didn't think she would be able to help them because if they were exec level, they where somehow better than the average person. 

The advice she got was they are humans.

The same thing applies to physicians.  

They have bad days. They have people that are rude to them. Take make mistakes. They get cut off in traffic. They forget things. They have complicated family dynamics. They worry about bills. They have personal goals that may have nothing to do with medicine. 

Instead of expecting them to be perfect, give them the grace of being human.

Tip #2: Be proud of your contribution as a nurse to patient care.

One of my favorite stories a client shared is how during rounding with doctors, after the physicians share the medical plan, she will share the nursing care plan she is doing that day (ie getting up to the chair, walking, etc.). The physicians love this style of communication so much they actually asked if she would teach a class to other nurses. 

It takes a team to heal. As a nurse I am an expert in the care of cancer patients and I have a lot of pride in it.

- I am an expert at looking at the trajectory of care and potential needs my patients will have.

- I am skilled at educating patients so they can understand what is happening to them.

- I know the nursing interventions that supports healing. (Thank you nursing care plans). 

- I can spot when things are going wrong and get the right people involved quickly.

Your contribution matters. 

Tip #3: Focus on your self-confidence and self-love.

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it people like me." - Stuart Smalley

When we put kids on the bus for kindergarten who are worried about their first day parents say things like:

-You are going to do great.

-Everyone is going to like you.

-You are going to make so many friends.

We can apply this same advice to ourselves as adults.

When I have a client that is worried about an interaction at work or starting a new job, my biggest piece of advice is going in thinking that everyone likes me, it's going to workout, and I am okay.

These thoughts help changes their energy so they can be less defensive and anxious and more grounded and confident.

I hope you enjoyed reading these three tips. If you are struggling with your relationships with physicians, I can help you. All you have to do is click here to set up a consult. 

I believe in you and your possibilities,

Mary B.



Comments