How to be the architect of your nurse career.


You are not your situation, baby. You're the architect of your own dreams. - Jill Scott

Today I want to talk to you about being the architect of your nursing career.

One thing I say is a lot is that oncology is the nursing career that found me. Because I had never actually had any intention of working in cancer care.

And well that is only partially true.

Even though I didn't know I wanted to be an oncology nurse. I knew that I wanted to work in an environment where I connected with patients and was able to spend time getting to know them.

And that is exactly the environment that I found in oncology.

Although you might not have a specific idea of what you want, you have a general idea of the things you like to do and the things you have no interest doing.

Today I want to share three ways you can take charge of your career so you can shape into the career home of your dreams.


1. Write down what you WANT your career to be like.

When I do consults with many of my clients they tell me all the things they don't want. And I get it, our brains are naturally program to see the things we want to avoid.

This is super helpful when you are trying to avoid a dangerous situation, but not helpful in getting the career you want.

Make a list of everything you want your job to be like. The hours you work, the people you work with, the patients you work with, the type of work you are doing, the shifts you work, etc. Then create a vision board or put the list somewhere you will look at it everyday.

The purpose of putting it somewhere you are looking at it everyday is so you brain starts reprogramming itself to look for these things INSTEAD of the things you don't want.

2. Do not make big career decisions from a place of fear. 

Do not. I REPEAT. DO NOT make any career decisions when you are in a place of fear or anxiety.

I get your brain is freaking out BUT when your sympathetic nervous system(fight or flight mode) is driving your decisions are being made based upon survival. 

Your decision making ability is going to be limited to fight, flight, freeze or appease. Which will not necessarily help you make the best choice.

If you are anxious surrounding your career and decisions, this is a great time to get a coach to help you look at the big picture goals you have and create a plan to get there.

3. Be committed to your goal and make massive action.

If there is something that you really really want to do. 

Go after it with all your heart and soul.

And this doesn't mean scrolling Indeed jobs for hours. It means connecting with people who work in the company, working with a recruiter, getting certificates, moving to a new state, and keep moving forward even if NOTHING is happening.

I want you to think of this of being just like dating.

Very few people meet their significant other on the first date. For most people it takes years and its work.

There will be times where things don't go as plan and your brain will tell you its a sign it is not meant to be.

Ignore that crap.

Be willing to take a detour but keep moving forward.  

I believe in you and your possibilities.

Mary B.

P.S. Whether you have a big career goal or feel like you lost your purpose and feel like you are spinning your wheels, I can help. Let's set up a consult today and discuss your goals and dreams. This is the best gift you can give yourself and your nursing career.




Comments