Annual Evaluations don't have to suck.



I used to dread my annual evaluation. 

I didn't know what I was supposed to write and would always mark myself for "meets expectation" for my performance.

I would give generic answers for personal goals such as "achieve my OCN" or "work on my masters." 

Because I was worried about giving the wrong answers or sounding stupid, so I tried to play it as safe as possible.

What this resulted in is that I never got anything out of it.

And the reason why is because I never understood how to actually use my annual evaluation for my benefit to improve my career.

So today I am going to share how to turn your annual evaluation into something meaningful.

1. Stop marking yourself at 3 and 4s when you are acting like a 5.

There is a time and place to be humble and your annual evaluation is not want one them. I hear this from nurses time and time again, "I cannot mark 5 because there is always room to improve."

Stop that noise and listen to this.

If you can think of a specific way you have to grow, then by all means put a 3 or 4. BUT if you are known for being the best person in your department at conflict resolution or collaboration, OWN THAT FIVE.

2. Share specific examples, even if they feel small.

In my annual evaluation I share specific examples to support my personal assessment. Because while it seems just day to day, they help your manager get a better picture of who you are when they are not necessarily looking.

Some easy things that nurses do everyday and here are some examples:

- Leadership: A new grad nurse was nervous and having anxiety about calling a physician about a patient who was having a change in status, coached them through the process which resulted in patient getting transferred to the ICU.

- Patient Care: After a patient passed, his wife became inconsolable and did not have support with her. I worked with the spiritual care team and charge nurse to help provide support for her and we were able to contact someone to provide a ride for the wife to get home. 

3. Be vulnerable about your professional goals.

Professional goals do not have to be surface level and I think nursing would benefit from more meaningful goals. 

For instance, maybe you want to transfer to a different area of the hospital or move into a new role? 

Your manager could help arrange a shadow day or know of openings coming up, 

Want to become a manager, your manager could have connected you with a leadership mentor in your organization that 

But if you don't bring it up, you miss any opportunity for these connections.

4. Don't wait until the annual evaluation to check in. 

Talking about your performance should happen on the regular so that going into your evaluation there shouldn't be any surprises about how you are performing.

Most hospitals have some form of rounding on employees. Do not use this time just to talk about the challenges/problems on the unit. Pivot the conversation to discuss if there are opportunities for you or if you have a professional goal you want to start working on.

Because goals shouldn't have to wait for a year for action.

I believe in you and all your possibilities. 

Mary B.

P.S. 

Hey friend, if you enjoy these e-mails, you have got to sign up for the Unbreakable Nurse Society. It is the place for nurses to get coaching on their careers and stop burnout from ruining your career.  I have three spots opening for October and I would love to see you be one of them. All you have to do is click here to set up a time to talk with me. 


Comments