The real cost of burnout.



We hear all the time about the fiscal cost of burnout on healthcare organizations, but what about personal cost on the nurse?

This weekend I was reminded of the real cost of burnout when I transferred back from being on Android to iPhone and something I didn't expect happened.

All the pictures from what I call the "burnout years" popped up on my phone. 

As I flipped through 2014-2016, there were so many beautiful memories of times with my hubby, traveling, friendships, and silly, beautiful experiences we had in San Francisco.

The pictures above are actually from my notorious Eat Pray Love solo trip I took in 2016 that I took to do some soul searching and personal healing.

Although the pictures were beautiful, my heart started hurting and I ended up crying looking at them. 

While I experienced all the beautiful moments that people DREAM to have, the reality was this was one of the darkest periods of my life. 

Most nights I needed something to sleep so I could escape the cries of existential banshee.

Instead of looking at those years and feeling blessed by what I had during those moments, I remember how miserable and anxious I was deep inside. 

And I grieved.

Because these beautiful photos reminded me o what burnout really cost me:

- The ability to be present with my friends and just revel in the silly.

- The ability to enjoy happiness without the fear of feeling anxious again.

- The ability to enjoy an amazing relationship with an amazing guy.

- The ability to not think about work on my days off. 

- The ability to be surrounded by something beautiful but not truly be happy in the moment.

While I did grieve that I did not appreciate these moments, I am not looking back in regret.

Because through this pain, I found my purpose in helping other nurses take their lives and careers back from burnout.

So today I invite you to look at your life and begin noticing what is your burnout doing to your life outside of work.

What are you missing out because you are too busy stressing about your job?

What are the things that have lost their joy because you are anxious about going to work tomorrow or maybe later in the week?

What relationships are suffering because your burnout has taken bled into every area of life?

And if you see areas where you need help, set up a consult to talk with me. 

You can have better than before burnout.


I believe in you and all your possibilities.

Mary B.

P.S. Hey there, friend! 

I have three spaces left for coaching in December and I would love to have you be one of them. If you have been curious to see what coaching can do for you, click here to sign up for a time for us to talk. You will leave with a plan and a clear vision for your career in 2021.

Andddd, if you sign up for 1:1 coaching and pay in full, you will receive entrance to a new program called "Break Free from Bedside" launching in January 2021. This program will teach you everything you need to know on how to get a job from networking to resume to the interview. 

Comments