Shopping to feel better.

 

Have you ever been excited for pay day because you finally not broke and can do something that made you feel better about how miserable you are at work?

If so, I hear you friend and have been there.

I remember one day after a particularly bad day at work, I headed to TJ Maxx and spent almost $300 in clothes, shoes, and random items that I really did not need.

And then I justified this to myself.

Because I 100% believed I deserved them for having yet another rough week at work.

And shopping was something that made me feel better.

Shopping made the hours spent in the job I hated okay.

But it wasn't long that I had to go back to work and the cycle would repeat itself.

Friend, I want you to say it with me. 

Retail therapy is not therapy.

And while I am all about buying clothing that make you happy to wear.

Shopping will not fix problematic relationships, burnout, or a job you hate. 

Since Black Friday is right around the corner, I want to talk to you about to how to stop using shopping to fix your burnout and some tips. 

1. Avoid stores that offer items at a bargain with a huge rotating selection.

Dopamine pays a huge role in our pleasure, reward, and interestingly enough doing something that is a little naughty.

So let's say you wanted to buy a gift for a friend and went shopping at TJ Maxx and you see this cute purse that you hadn't planned on buying but it's marked down to $70 from $140. So you buy the purse.

Cue dopamine release and instant gratification. 

I recommend completely avoiding stores like these while you are dealing with burnout. 

2. Create at least a 24 hour window prior to an impulse buy.

This is pretty straight forward tool, but part of the dopamine hit is giving into the impulse.

Instead of letting your brain hijack you and giving into the instant gratification. If you see something in a store or online, wait at least 24 hours before making an impulse buy.

I do this a lot where I will put things in my Amazon cart and then save them for later. What ends up happening is usually I will either talk myself out of the item or it will sit in my cart for a long time before I buy it. 

3. Focus instead on creating a life you want to live.

Something that feels better than shopping is creating a life where you don't need to go shopping to escape it.

Instead of hours browsing the racks, sit down and start thinking about what you want for yourself a year from now or a decade from now.

Instead of dropping hundreds on bargain items, save up so you can do that trek across Europe in 2022. 

Instead of lamenting over that you don't have any money because you spent it all, create a five year plan for yourself, your life, and your career.

Because you deserve better than a life where you are burnout and spending all your time trying to escape.

I believe in you and your possibilities. 

Mary B.

P.S. I not only help my clients save money by helping them deal with their burnout, I help them make more money.

"Mary you are the best! I negotiated a pay raise on my behalf without travel agency representative. I went from winter rates to crisis rates!" - Lori, RN

If you are ready to see what a life and career without burnout can be like, I have two spots available in December. Click here to sign up for a free consult.

Comments