Burnout and Relationships Part Four: Relationship with Self

 


Over the past four weeks we have talked about burnout and how it hurts relationships with our coworkers, partners, and friends. 

But what about the most important relationship of all? 

The relationship we have with ourselves.

Looking back at my burnout, my relationship with myself changed dramatically during that time period.

I was so mean to myself, I didn't need anyone else to bully me.

I was doing a good job on my own.

I beat myself for everything from career decisions, relationships, and even lost my sense of purpose/spirituality.

What are red flags that your burnout is hurting your relationship with self?

- You beat yourself up about mistakes you make or how you handle situations.

- You call yourself names that most people would never say to your face.

- You don't trust yourself to make good decisions.

- You use food, alcohol, social media, or television to feel better. 

- You are putting your health and well-being completely on the back burner, even though you are exhausted physically and mentally.

If any of these sound familiar, I want to be very clear that it does NOT mean that something is wrong with you or that you are broken.

All these red flags are designed just to help you wake up, see what is happening, and decide if you like the way you are treating yourself OR if you want another path.

If you are wanting a new path here is my advice:

Stop treating yourself you are a bad child who deserves to be punished and instead put that energy into learning how to love yourself and be kind to yourself. 

And it's okay if you aren't sure how to do it or you don't know where to start.

And easy first step that I teach my clients is learning how to pair sentences with AND to help take back the narrative.

Examples: 

Yes I made a mistake at work AND I are still worthy of love and a valuable person.

Yes I are a bitch AND you care about I family and friends.

Yes I make bad decisions AND I have also have made a ton of good decisions. 

Yes I ate a whole box of girl scout cookies because worked sucked today AND I am still committed to taking care of myself.

Doing this is going to probably feel weird at the beginning but the more you do it, the better you will feel.

Because my friend, you deserve better than being the emotional punching bag for your career and life.

I believe in you and your possibilities,

Mary B.

P.S. If you are ready to learn how to have your own back and feel confident in yourself as a nurse, click here to sign up to work with me. 

We will do a consult and discuss your individual needs and goals, then create your plan to overcome them. I can't wait to meet you and help you on your career path.

 




Comments