Stop treating your breaking point like it's the only time to change something.

I will never forget witnessing a physician verbally assault a nurse for refusing to restart a blood transfusion on a patient having a reaction. Then being told by an administrator that we should have said, 'We were scared.' 


I can remember the helplessness, the anger, and the resentment boiling over that my nursing career had come to this point. 


Would the rest of my career really be plagued by weekly panic attacks, verbal abuse, and having my license put in jeopardy by my organization?


I had hit my breaking point.


While I would love to say it was the first incident where something crossed a line, in reality there was a series of other incidents way before that moment. 


From frequently missed lunches to weekly overtime, watching nurse after nurse leave for greener pastures, and sleepless nights before having to go into a job I dread.


I was like a frog swimming in a pot, not realizing until it was too late that the whole pot was on fire.


Although I left that job not too long after, hitting my breaking point did a lot of damage to my life and career. 


Sure I was functional and going about my day-to-day, but inside I was angry. I hated being a nurse, I was always on edge, and I felt no sense of purpose in my work.


I never want another nurse to go through or get to the point I got.


This is why I am pretty firm that it is crucial to do whatever you need to do to avoid hitting your breaking point.


Here is what to do instead:


1. Make a list of your red flags and pay attention to them.


Are you sleeping poorly, are you missing breaks at work, dreading going to work, or always thinking about work? If so, it's time to start paying attention, as these are early signs that you might be heading to burnout.


If this sounds like you, start getting support instead of pushing through whether you work with a coach or start a self-care practice. I consider this like a pre-burnout stage where it is easier to make changes that can make a huge difference.


2. Focus on the essentials only at work.

Unless you enjoy doing them, cut out things that are not a part of your job or do as a volunteer. Saying no can be uncomfortable to do because you might not want to let someone down, but in the end, simplifying work will help pull you back from the breaking point. 


3. Recognize if you need to leave.


It is okay to put yourself and your needs first and walk away if you truly have come to the point where you're in a state where you are worried about your mental or physical health.


I do not believe any nurse should stay in a job that risks harm to their physical and mental health. There are way too many options out there that most nurses can do short-term while figuring out the next step in their jobs.


If you feel like you are moving towards your breaking point and looking at what other career options are out there for you, set up a consult with me.


I believe every nurse deserves a career that brings them purpose and allows work/life balance, so let's get you yours. 

I believe in you and all your possibilities, 

Mary B. 



Comments