Find your zone of genius.

 




Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein


Today I want to share a story about why this is one of my absolute favorite quotes ever.


Back in my early days of being a nurse, I was floated down to the Emergency Room.


Y'all, I had no idea what I was doing or what was going on.


I was a fish out of water trying to frantically climb a tree for the next 12 hours of my life.


As I watched the nurses zooming around from task to task, I just felt kinda, stupid and lost.


To be honest, I ended up spending most of that shift cleaning stretchers, fetching food/water, and priming IV lines. 


I was never more relieved than to reach the end of the shift and get out of the ER since it reinforced something I already knew.


Emergency Room nursing was not an area of nursing for me.


Does that mean I was a bad nurse or that I should just give up the profession completely?


Absolutely NOT. 


It meant that if I tried to be an ER nurse and compared myself to one, I was going to just think I was stupid and had no future in nursing.


Too often, as nurses, we look at other nurse's success and start comparing ourselves.


But the problem with this is when we are comparing ourselves to someone else, we miss a chance to shine in our own zone of genius.


What is a zone of genius?


It is the area where you feel you can shine and enjoy growing. It is where you feel energized when you are doing it and feel a sense of personal satisfaction or purpose.


While ER nursing was not my calling, I loved working in oncology. Oncology is the area that became a major part of my zone of genius during my nursing career.


When I finally embraced it, more doors opened to me.


I had the opportunity to grow and give in ways that I didn't even know possible.


When I work with clients, honing into their unique zone of genius is a major thing I help them with. 


Whether it is remaining in a bedside career or building a coaching business, every nurse has their own path, their own zone of genius. 


So the next time you find yourself comparing yourself to someone else, take a deep breath and come back to your own lane. Focus on the things that make YOU exceptional, the things YOU are drawn to, and where YOU want to grow.


Because trying to be mediocre in someone else's lane will only rob the world of your gifts.


I believe in you and your possibilities, 

Mary B.

P.S. Do you want to learn how to find your zone of genius in nursing? Come sign up for a Career Strategy Session with me. 

These 90 minute sessions are rocking my clients minds, here are some of the feedback these sessions are receiving:

"This session helped me figure out why I am the way I am." 

"This helped me see my gifts so I stop trying to copy everyone else."

"I feel so much more grounded in my coaching business, thank you!!!" 




 










Comments